Indian-American in Georgia Senate race
Bhubaneswar: Indian-American entrepreneur Bikram Kumar Mohanty has been chosen as the candidate of President Barak Obama`s Democratic Party for Georgia state`s Senate elections slated later this year.
Migrating to the US in 1994 from Chandbali in Odisha`s Bhadrak district, around 110 km from here, Mohanty, 45, is the founder and chief executive officer of Innovative Rehab Solutions - a health care company based in Gerogia`s Valdosta city.
"As a student, I got the opportunity to serve in the Missionaries of Charity as a clinical intern. I truly believe my skills and commitment would help create jobs in south Georgia," Mohanty said in an email.
The Indian-American entrepreneur said he was appointed to the `White House Conference on Aging` as an alternate delegate from Georgia in 2005.
He has also served in Lowndes County Chamber of Commerce from 2002-2003 and as the licensure liaison to the Georgia State Board of Occupational Therapist.
Mohanty set up the Mother Teresa Foundation, a non-profit organisation, to raise awareness about health care and disease prevention issues among low-income and homeless Americans.
The elections to the Georgia state Senate will be held July 31 and November 6, he said.
"Mohanty is the first person from Odhisha to run for a state senate in the US and we are proud of him," said Dhirendra Kar, former president of the Orissa Society of the Americas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray