Indian-American lawmaker for dialogue with India on nuclear issues
Washington: Ami Bera, the lone Indian-American member of US House of Representatives, has called for an open dialogue with India on issues like liability concerns to open Indian energy market to US companies.
"As we move forward, it`s important to continue to have an open dialogue with the Indian Government about issues like liability concerns so we can tackle India`s energy needs and open their energy market to US companies," he said Thursday.
"That will benefit both our countries` economies," he said participating in a House Committee on Foreign Affairs hearing on international civilian nuclear cooperation.
India`s tough liability law has stalled operationalisation of the landmark 2008 India-US civilian nuclear agreement with US companies fearing the law disproportionately burdens suppliers of nuclear equipment in case of an accident.
"With a new government in India, we have an opportunity to work together to continue our partnership and strengthen our economic relationship," Bera said.
"We should make sure that as we encounter challenges, we maintain open channels of communication to find solutions that benefit both our great nations," he said.
Bera also expressed happiness with "India`s significant step in ratifying an International Atomic Energy Agency agreement that will open its civilian nuclear programme to unannounced spot inspections."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list