Indian-American Senator racially abused
New York: Nikki Haley, the Indian-American woman running for South Carolina`s governor seat, was attacked with racial slur by a state lawmaker who called her a "raghead".
Republican state Senator Jake Knotts also attacked President Barack Obama in comments on an internet political show called Pub Politics.
Haley, who was born a Sikh and describes herself as a Methodist, became target of racial slur typically used against Arabs or other ethnic groups that wear turbans or headdresses.
"We already got one raghead in the White House," Knotts said. "We don`t need another in the governor`s mansion," he was quoted as saying by The State, a South Carolina newspaper.
Knotts reportedly also talked at length about Haley`s parents` religion and her family.
Haley campaign manager Tim Pearson said Knotts was an embarrassment to the state, and that South Carolina voters would make it clear on Tuesday they are better than this.
Knotts now insists that his comments were made in zest and also agreed to apologize.
"My `raghead` comments about Obama and Haley were intended in jest," he said.
"Bear in mind that this is a freewheeling, anything-goes Internet radio show that is broadcast from a pub. It`s like local political version of `Saturday Night Live`", he said in a statement.
"Since my intended humorous context was lost in translation, I apologize. I still believe Ms Haley is pretending to be someone she is not, much as Obama did, but I apologize to both for an unintended slur," the Republican politician added.
The show`s host, Wesley Donehue, told the newspaper: "I, along with everyone else at the table, was shocked."
Republican Haley currently serves in the South Carolina House of Representatives where she represents Lexington County, and is the first Indian-American to hold office in that state.
Haley`s religion was also raised as an issue during her first South Carolina House run in 2004, when anonymous fliers claimed that she was a Hindu, which is incorrect.
The daughter of a Sikh Punjabi immigrants faced more trouble this week, as a political lobbyist claimed that he had a tryst with the Republican candidate, who is already facing allegations of an extra-marital affair.
The 38-year-old mother of two, whose husband is a US Army reserves officer, has been hit by allegations that she had a "physical" relationship with commentator Will Folks.
Haley has refused to make her texts and emails public in order to clear up the controversy.
Haley maintains she has been faithful to her husband for 13 years and her campaign rejected the latest allegations as "a false and outrageous desperate attack from a losing candidate`s paid campaign consultant in the final week of the race".
If elected, Haley would be only the second governor of Indian origin in the US after Louisiana`s Bobby Jindal.
She currently has the backing of political Republican heavy weights like Sarah Palin and Mitt Romney.
A strong pro family, pro life, pro Second Amendment, pro development, conservative reformer...your next governor Nikki Haley," Palin said in her endorsement.
The Second Amendment protects the right to bear arms in the US.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo