Indian American youths trace Vivekananda footsteps in US
Washington: A group of Indian American youths including students and young professionals are marking the 150th birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda by visiting places in US that is associated with the spiritual leader.
According to a statement by the Hindu Swyamsevak Sangh (HSS) of US that is facilitating the trips under a project named "Vivekananda Express", will take the group of nearly 100 youths to the First Unitarian Church of Oakland where Swami Vivekananda delivered a speech in the year 1900.
The speech is known to have brought many residents of Berkeley in contact with his message and later led to the establishment of the Vedanta Society at Berkeley.
The group also plans to visit other places associated with Swami Vivekananda in San Francisco, Oakland and Alameda.
"Swami Vivekananda was indeed one of the foremost cultural ambassadors of Hinduism and India to America and his message naturally connects with the youth," said Sairam Tyagarajan who works at Cisco and is one of the volunteers who organised the event.
"This is what makes him an icon to the Indian American youngsters," he added.
In the Church, the participants were shown the wooden chair where Swami Vivekananda sat as he waited for his turn to speak and the podium through which he delivered his speeches.
"Of late, we have been reading quite a bit about Swami Vivekananda, but it is indeed a special feeling to have visited the place where he spoke, he sat and moved about," said Sowmya Bhatia, a high school student from Cupertino.
"It was as if I were experiencing the moment when Swamiji stood up to speak" he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani