Indian-Americans come out to support Anna Hazare
Washington: Coming out in support of Anna
Hazare, Indian-Americans have appealed to the Indian
government to take serious steps to curb the menace of
corruption in the country.
"We NRIs want to remove corruption out of India. We
support Anna Hazare`s efforts to eradicate the corruption,
pass Lokpal Bill and declare black money as national assets,"
said Dnyanoba Kendre, a yoga teacher from Pennsylvania.
Of all the protests in India in recent times, this is the
most legitimate and at the grass root-level, that can change
the fate of the country, said Rangarajan, a student from the
University of Maryland.
Another student, Umang Agarawal, said they are emailing
Supreme Court en mass directly to take suo motu action and
save the nation.
"More than Indians fighting against corruption, it seems
government is fighting against people who are fighting against
corruption. This is going to be one of the watershed moments
of Indian history," said Vibhash Jha, a PhD student at the
University of Maryland.
Indian-Americans from in and around Washington for the
third day held a demonstration in front of the Indian embassy
here. Similar events in support of Hazare are being reported
from various parts of the country as well.
A large number of Indian-Americans held a similar protest
demonstration outside the Indian Consulate in Houston.
"We NRI in Houston feel connected to the movement in
India and are expressing support in several forms like
Facebook, Twitter, Google, websites in addition to their
presence in local gatherings around apartment club houses,
public parks and other community places," said Raghava R
Shocked and saddened by the arrest of Hazare and his
supporters, Non-Resident Indians for Secular and Harmonious
India (NRI-SAHI) said Indian-Americans support the demand of
Team Anna to bring every one under the Jan Lok Pal Bill.
"We demand the government of India keep its promise and
promulgate an effective Anti-Corruption Bill," NRI-SAHI said.
In a statement, Atlanta-based US Hindu Alliance strongly
condemned the measures taken by the Indian government against
the peaceful and democratic anti-corruption movement led by
"The right to speak freely and the right to protest
peacefully have been earned by the people of India after a
prolonged struggle which involved the sacrifices of millions
of its people.
"Hindus around the world cannot remain silent spectators
when the government snatches away the fruits of India`s
freedom movement and attempts to create a political
environment which has all the hallmarks of a police state," it
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared