Indian-Americans continue pro-Anna rallies in US
Washington: In cities across the US, a large
number of Indian Americans turned up for rallies and protest
march being held in support of anti-corruption agitation
launched by social activist Anna Hazare, whose fast entered
the sixth day on Sunday.
Expressing dissatisfaction over the "lackluster response"
from the Indian government, participants of the rallies in the
US yesterday urged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to act
expeditiously to consider Hazare`s demand.
"There have been no positive developments in the past few
days. We along with Anna are quite clear what we want, but the
government is still confused," said Ashutosh Gupta, spokesman
of the Indian American community who participated in a
peaceful demonstration in front of the Indian Embassy here.
The group has been holding the demonstration in front of
the Indian Embassy for the last five days.
"We are here to support Anna and tell the Indian
government to immediately meet his demands. After all he is
fighting for all of us, for the entire nation," said.
Visalakshi Rajan, 83, who especially came with her son to
attend the protest on Saturday evening.
"It always was a dream to see India a corruption free
country. We strongly believe that the time has come for this
dream to come true. Let this spirit not go down till the goal
is achieved," said Pradeep K, a software engineer in Reston,
Virgina, a suburb of Washington.
Ashwini Gonde Dole, who helped organising a similar rally
in Michigan, said they wanted to express in this small way to
Hazare that Indian Americans supports him in his struggle for
a corruption free India, which is extremely essential.
Reports of protests came in from various American cities
including Houston, Chicago, San Francisco, New York and Jersey
City. The protests are expected to continue today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened