Indian-Americans hold meetings, fast in support of Baba Ramdev
Washington: Hundreds of Indian-Americans
in cities across the United States today started meetings and
observed fast in support of the anti-corruption crusade
launched by yoga guru Baba Ramdev in New Delhi.
Baba Ramdev solidarity meetings are being held in some
two dozen cities across the US, according to latest news
reports coming from the organizers, Bharat Swabhiman Overseas
(BSO), a US-based organization which supports the ideology and
goal of the Indian guru.
"The purpose is to support the great movement which is
going on in India this time against corruption," said Dr
Bhishma Agnihotri, the former Ambassador-at-Large of India.
Brushing aside government`s persuasion, 46-year-old
Ramdev began his indefinite hunger strike at New Delhi`s
Ramlila Maidan demanding repatriation of black money stashed
away abroad as thousands of followers joined him in the
protest across India.
President of BSO, Agnihotri today travelled from Batan
Rouge in Louisiana to Huston in Texas to attend the main
In Fairfax, Virginia, a suburb of Washington several
hundred people are expected to gather late in the afternoon to
listen to the video message of Ramdev.
"People would listen to his message in the fight
against corruption," said Shardanand, one of the organizers.
"Purpose is to tell that we people living in the US
have equal stake in what is going inside India. We are
embarrassed by what is going on in India," Agnihotri said.
"Now, the corruption has gone beyond control," he
underlined, adding that more and more Indian-Americans are
joining this movement against corruption in India.
While yoga is the hallmark of all these meetings
across the US, besides giving speeches and listening to the
video message of Ramdev, people also held devotional programme
and fasting during the day in Ramdev`s support.
In California, nearly dozen organizations announced to
hold a meeting in Fremont to show solidarity with Ramdev`s
Many of them announced that they would hold fast.
Every one registering for the event would receive yoga DVD of
Similar meetings and fast are being planned in
Washington, New York, Houston, Tampa, New Jersey and Los
"The issues of Black money, corruption and fast
justice against corruption, the legacy of unjust laws,
economic and education system left over from the British Raj
even after 63 years of independence taken by Swamiji are of
utmost importance to Bharat," said Ramesh Bhutada, a
Houston-based businessman and trustee for Patanjali Yogpeeth
"Resolution of these issues will make India shine all
over the world and in a true sense will be even able to guide
the world in the coming decades," he underlined.
"Not only we but our children and grandchildren will
be proud of our mother country and will be interested in
imbibing the best in our culture and heritage," Bhutada said
in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Orlando Bloom 'happy' for Miranda Kerr
- Planning to visit Africa? Check out these top 5 places for sure
- Whoa! Deepika Padukone meets Ranbir Kapoor, Fawad Khan on 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' sets?
- Punjab braveheart challenges J&K separatists, says will hoist tricolour at Srinagar's Lal Chowk on Aug 15 - Watch
- 'Kabali' mints $2 mn from North America premieres