Indian among 15 killed in road accident in Nepal
Kathmandu: An Indian driver was among 15 people killed when a jeep carrying them to a pilgrimage site veered off the road and plunged down a 100 metre slope in western Nepal on Saturday.
The Indian jeep was hired by members of a family -- Nepalis living in India -- who were travelling to a holy site to dispose the remains of a kin near his birth place.
The jeep was taking them to Ridi in Gulmi district of western Nepal when the accident took place, police said.
Nine women and four children were among those killed when the jeep fell down the road at Jorte of Deurali Bhire are of Palpa district, police said.
The jeep was being driven by an Indian, who was also killed in the tragedy. The Himalayan Times said the Indian was identified as 25-year-old Ashok Kumar Tiwari.
Earlier official sources said that all those killed were Indians. However, the police later confirmed that the victims included 14 Nepalese and an Indian.
The Indian embassy in Kathmandu also confirmed that only one Indian was among those killed.
Two injured passengers were taken to Lumbini Medical College Prabhas for treatment, police said.
A team of police led by deputy superintendent Mira Chaudhary was dispatched to the accident site.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks