Indian among 15 killed in road accident in Nepal
Kathmandu: An Indian driver was among 15 people killed when a jeep carrying them to a pilgrimage site veered off the road and plunged down a 100 metre slope in western Nepal on Saturday.
The Indian jeep was hired by members of a family -- Nepalis living in India -- who were travelling to a holy site to dispose the remains of a kin near his birth place.
The jeep was taking them to Ridi in Gulmi district of western Nepal when the accident took place, police said.
Nine women and four children were among those killed when the jeep fell down the road at Jorte of Deurali Bhire are of Palpa district, police said.
The jeep was being driven by an Indian, who was also killed in the tragedy. The Himalayan Times said the Indian was identified as 25-year-old Ashok Kumar Tiwari.
Earlier official sources said that all those killed were Indians. However, the police later confirmed that the victims included 14 Nepalese and an Indian.
The Indian embassy in Kathmandu also confirmed that only one Indian was among those killed.
Two injured passengers were taken to Lumbini Medical College Prabhas for treatment, police said.
A team of police led by deputy superintendent Mira Chaudhary was dispatched to the accident site.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy