Indian Army asks all units to take steps against drug trafficking
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of the arrest of an Army Colonel in connection with a narcotics smuggling case, the Indian Army has issued an advisory to its units to take steps to curb any such illegal activity.
An advisory has been sent to all the units and formations on the issue of drug trafficking for "curbing tendencies and activities" in that direction, sources said here on Friday.
In the advisory, the Army has also expressed concern over the increasing use of drugs in the society, they said.
The advisory comes against the backdrop of the arrest of a defence ministry public relations officer at Imphal and six others in Manipur, with illegal drugs worth Rs 15 crore, meant to be smuggled out to bordering Myanmar.
On the arrest in Imphal in February this year, the Army Headquarters had said that the group was ferrying tablets of the banned pseudoephedrine, a decongestant that can be abused as stimulant, among other contraband, in three vehicles towards Moreh, a border town in Myanmar. The other drugs included Respifed, Omkop, Hilcold, Polyfed and Actidin tablets.
Army officers besides the civil police in Manipur are probing the case and are expected to file their report in this regard soon.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata