Indian Army gets first lady jawan
New Delhi: Another glass ceiling has been broken in the Indian Army with a mother of two becoming the first woman jawan.
Outperforming her male counterparts in the physical tests, 35-year-old Sapper Shanti Tigga joined the 969 Railway Engineer Regiment of Territorial Army (TA).
"Women are allowed to join the armed forces only as officers in the non-combat units. But Tigga has earned a unique distinction of being the first lady jawan in the 1.3 million strong defence forces," a senior Army officer said.
"She performed exceedingly well in all the physical tests. She took five seconds less than her male counterparts to complete 1.5 km run. She completed the 50 meter run in 12 seconds which is rated as excellent," he said.
Employed with the Indian Railways as points-man posted at Chalsa station in West Bengal`s Jalpaiguri district, Tigga volunteered for the TA last year.
"I joined Railways in 2005 on compensatory ground after my husband passed away. Last year I learnt about TA Railways and I volunteered for it. At that time, I was not aware that no woman has ever joined the Army as Personnel Below Officer Rank but that was hardly a deterrent," she said.
During her Recruitment Training Camp (RTC), Tigga had impressed the firing instructors with her skills in handling guns and earned the top-most position of marksman.
"With her overall performance in the RTC including physical test, drill and firing, she was adjudged as the best trainee," an official said.
Tigga said she had always dreamt of joining the Army, wear the olive green uniform and fire guns.
"Some of my relatives were in the armed forces and I was always motivated by them to become a part of the army. I prepared hard to clear the physical tests. I know I have made my family proud by becoming the first woman Army jawan," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi