Indian Army inducts new regiment of BrahMos
New Delhi: Providing it a swift strike capability along the border with Pakistan, the Indian Army on Sunday inducted its second BrahMos supersonic cruise missile regiment in the western sector.
It also successfully conducted a test of the 290-km range missile to validate the unit`s operationalisation.
"In conformity and pursuit of operational and strategic surface to surface missile capability development, the second BrahMos unit of Indian Army has been operationalised somewhere in western sector," an army spokesperson said in a release.
"The Indian Army unit successfully launched BrahMos missile and destroyed the preselected target in the field firing ranges in Rajasthan on Sunday," he added.
BrahMos has the capability of attacking surface targets by flying as low as 10 metres above the ground. It can reach a speed of Mach 2.8 or close to three times the speed of sound.
The BrahMos has been developed as a joint venture between the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) of India and the Federal State Unitary Enterprise NPO Mashinostroyenia (NPOM) of Russia under BrahMos Aerospace.
The missile is named after two rivers, the Brahmaputra and the Moskva.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning