Indian Army inducts new regiment of BrahMos
New Delhi: Providing it a swift strike capability along the border with Pakistan, the Indian Army on Sunday inducted its second BrahMos supersonic cruise missile regiment in the western sector.
It also successfully conducted a test of the 290-km range missile to validate the unit`s operationalisation.
"In conformity and pursuit of operational and strategic surface to surface missile capability development, the second BrahMos unit of Indian Army has been operationalised somewhere in western sector," an army spokesperson said in a release.
"The Indian Army unit successfully launched BrahMos missile and destroyed the preselected target in the field firing ranges in Rajasthan on Sunday," he added.
BrahMos has the capability of attacking surface targets by flying as low as 10 metres above the ground. It can reach a speed of Mach 2.8 or close to three times the speed of sound.
The BrahMos has been developed as a joint venture between the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) of India and the Federal State Unitary Enterprise NPO Mashinostroyenia (NPOM) of Russia under BrahMos Aerospace.
The missile is named after two rivers, the Brahmaputra and the Moskva.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Russia to pay bonuses to athletes barred from Rio Olympics 2016
- Scorpene data leak unintentional, navy will address all concerns: Parrikar
- Day/Night Duleep Trophy: India Red crush India Green by 219 runs
- UEFA Europa League Draw: Groups, Fixtures, Top clashes – All you need to know!
- Beware! If you are woman and using elevator alone - WATCH Video