`Indian business environment complicated’
New Delhi: Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong on Wednesday said India`s business environment is "complicated" for investors who want policy stability.
"I think India`s environment is complicated," Lee said at a luncheon meeting with India`s industry leaders organised by CII, FICCI and Assocham here.
Singapore Prime Minister who is on a three-day visit to India said when investors take a decision they want stability and "they want to have reliable partner. They look at the prospect and possibilities. That`s the way all businesses happen," he said answering a question on how to improve business climate in India.
Some global industry associations and investors have expressed apprehensions over business environment in India following announcement of controversial General Anti-Avoidance Tax Rules (GAAR). Besides, retrospective tax as in the case of Vodafone has also added to uncertainty among some investors.
Asking India Inc to set up global base in Singapore, Lee said the countries have to "do a lot more to enhance bilateral relations". Already 4,000 Indian companies are currently operating in Singapore.
He said the rate of corporate tax in Singapore is far less than in the US and UK, which has helped Singapore a favourite investment destination."We are in the process of setting of a board of investment to help investors in executing the projects," Lee said.
Lee said that there was a need for increasing frequencies of flights between India and Singapore.
Singapore has emerged as the most sought after destination for foreign direct investment by Indian companies, which invested over USD 500 million there, accounting for about a fourth of the country`s total outward investment of USD 2.35 billion only in May.
The two countries also have a bilateral free trade agreement which has helped the mutual commerce growing to near USD 20 billion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Nintendo's Mario eyes a Mickey Mouse merchandising makeover
- Hepatitis prevention: Protect your liver with these useful tips
- PROMO alert! Hrithik Roshan as Sarman in 'Mohenjo Daro' —Watch now
- Salim Khan recalls Rajesh Khanna’s stardom, responds to Naseeruddin Shah’s ‘bitter’ remarks about first superstar
- BlackBerry DTEK50: 5 reasons why is it touted to be world's most secured smartphone