`Indian business environment complicated’
New Delhi: Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong on Wednesday said India`s business environment is "complicated" for investors who want policy stability.
"I think India`s environment is complicated," Lee said at a luncheon meeting with India`s industry leaders organised by CII, FICCI and Assocham here.
Singapore Prime Minister who is on a three-day visit to India said when investors take a decision they want stability and "they want to have reliable partner. They look at the prospect and possibilities. That`s the way all businesses happen," he said answering a question on how to improve business climate in India.
Some global industry associations and investors have expressed apprehensions over business environment in India following announcement of controversial General Anti-Avoidance Tax Rules (GAAR). Besides, retrospective tax as in the case of Vodafone has also added to uncertainty among some investors.
Asking India Inc to set up global base in Singapore, Lee said the countries have to "do a lot more to enhance bilateral relations". Already 4,000 Indian companies are currently operating in Singapore.
He said the rate of corporate tax in Singapore is far less than in the US and UK, which has helped Singapore a favourite investment destination."We are in the process of setting of a board of investment to help investors in executing the projects," Lee said.
Lee said that there was a need for increasing frequencies of flights between India and Singapore.
Singapore has emerged as the most sought after destination for foreign direct investment by Indian companies, which invested over USD 500 million there, accounting for about a fourth of the country`s total outward investment of USD 2.35 billion only in May.
The two countries also have a bilateral free trade agreement which has helped the mutual commerce growing to near USD 20 billion.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview