Indian cabbie attacked with scissors in Australia
Melbourne: An Indian taxi driver was brutally
attacked by two men who punched and slashed him with scissors
in a robbery attempt in Victoria province, a media report said
on Friday even as Australia pledged to ensure safety of Indian
students who faced a string of assaults here recently.
The men threatened taxi driver Vadbhag Singh, 24, with
scissors inside his taxi in Richmond two weeks ago, demanding
cash and a GPS unit from him, police said.
Detective Senior Constable Dean Higgins says the attack
lasted for about two minutes, ABC online reported.
"The driver kept driving trying to work his way to the
Richmond Police Station, he didn`t know the area that well,"
"The male in the backseat behind him has constantly hit
him, put his finger in his mouth and used what appears to be a
pair of scissors, or half a pair of scissors and cut him
several times," he said.
Police have released images of the suspects.
Singh says his taxi was not fitted with a security screen
at the time of the attack. "I`m still in very much in favour
of these screens, although they are very uncomfortable."
The report came even as External Affairs Minister S M
Krishna, on a five-day visit to Australia, said he has
received assurances at the highest levels in the government
that every Indian student in the country would be protected. A
series of racially motivated attacks on students here has
caused outrage in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS