Indian cabbie in Aus charged for assault
Melbourne: Victorian police on Thursday arrested
and charged an Indian cabbie who allegedly knocked off his
According to AAP report, the 25-year-old passenger
was involved in a heated argument with the cab driver around
10 pm (AEDT) yesterday as they pulled over in Acland Street in
The report said a witness said the passenger tried
to walk away but the cab driver chased him down and had to be
restrained by security staff working at a nearby business.
The passenger kept walking away as the cab driver
then grabbed a baton from the boot of his cab, drove up next
to the passenger and allegedly starting striking the man
repeatedly with the weapon, the witness says.
"Within a few minutes, many other cab drivers, all
of them Indian, all turned up," witness Karen was quoted as
She said "And I could just see how out of hand this
is all getting.
Paramedics said they treated the passenger for
bruising and swelling to his upper body and took him to The
Alfred hospital in a stable condition.
The 32-year-old cab driver was arrested and later
charged with intentionally causing injury and two counts of
Police said they cannot discuss the case further
because the cab driver is facing charges before the courts.
He is expected to make a court appearance in
Melbourne Magistrates` Court at a later date.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp