Indian co-ops need to catch up with other nations: President
New Delhi: Indian cooperatives will need to catch up with such institutions in other countries, President Pranab Mukherjee said on Tuesday, while emphasising on greater requirement of these bodies in a liberal and globalised economic order.
"Today, the Indian cooperative movement has proved to be an effective economic instrument for ensuring growth with equity and inclusiveness. ...However, if we look at the contribution cooperatives are making in different parts of the world, we have a fair bit of catching up to do", Mukherjee said at the 16th Indian Cooperative Congress.
"A renaissance of sorts" is needed in Indian cooperative sector which faces many challenges and problems. Their performance across sectors is variable and hence they need to re-orient themselves by improving their efficiency, he said.
The Centre has enacted the 97th Constitutional amendment to enable democratic, autonomous and professional functioning of cooperatives. "By this amendment, the right to form a cooperative has now become a fundamental right," he added.
To take this initiative further to the grass roots level, Mukherjee said the respective state governments also need to create enabling environment by amending State laws as and when necessary.
Disagreeing to some arguments that cooperative societies must wither away in a liberal and globalised economic order, the President said, "In my view the need for cooperatives is greater in current context than it was ever before. The recent global financial crisis has shown the merits of low-risk customer-owned cooperative banking over excessive risk-taking investor owned global financial institutions."
As cooperatives play a significant role in achieving inclusive economic growth, he said, they have to develop professionally and become commercially viable.
Co-operatives must receive recognition as an important sector of the economy because they cover 99 per cent of villages and 71 per cent of rural households in India,he said.
At present, there are about six lakh cooperatives with a membership base of 24 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh