Indian Coast Guard gets first own three-star officer
New Delhi: The Indian Coast Guard on Friday got its first own three-star officer as the Defence Ministry approved the elevation of its second-in-command Rajendra Singh as Additional Director General.
"The name of DDG Rajendra Singh was today approved for elevation as the Additional Director General in the Coast Guard. He is the first Coast Guard officer to have reached this rank," a Ministry official said here.
In the Coast Guard, which is headed by officers belonging to the Navy, promotion of officers from the parent cadre so far were limited to the post of Deputy Director General only.
The step was taken soon after the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) approved the creation of two posts of ADG for the Coast Guard as part of measures to strengthen coastal security.
One of the ADGs of the force would be posted at the force headquarters here while the other one would be deployed at Mumbai - which is the hub of coastal security operations of the force.
In view of the importance of the force, mainly realised after the 26/11 attacks in Mumbai in 2008, the Government has also given sanctions to plans to double the size of the force`s manpower and assets including ships and patrol vessels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi