Indian Coast Guard gets first own three-star officer
New Delhi: The Indian Coast Guard on Friday got its first own three-star officer as the Defence Ministry approved the elevation of its second-in-command Rajendra Singh as Additional Director General.
"The name of DDG Rajendra Singh was today approved for elevation as the Additional Director General in the Coast Guard. He is the first Coast Guard officer to have reached this rank," a Ministry official said here.
In the Coast Guard, which is headed by officers belonging to the Navy, promotion of officers from the parent cadre so far were limited to the post of Deputy Director General only.
The step was taken soon after the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) approved the creation of two posts of ADG for the Coast Guard as part of measures to strengthen coastal security.
One of the ADGs of the force would be posted at the force headquarters here while the other one would be deployed at Mumbai - which is the hub of coastal security operations of the force.
In view of the importance of the force, mainly realised after the 26/11 attacks in Mumbai in 2008, the Government has also given sanctions to plans to double the size of the force`s manpower and assets including ships and patrol vessels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks