Indian couple dead in fire in Kathmandu
Kathmandu: An Indian couple was killed in a fire that broke out under suspicious circumstances at a rented apartment in the Nepalese capital on Sunday.
Binaya Gupta and Sharada Gupta from Madhya Pradesh died when the fire erupted in the bedroom of the first-floor flat at Buddhanagar.
By the time local residents brought the fire under control, the duo had died. The bodies were found lying in the bed and there were no signs of any struggle, The Himalayan Times reported.
The reason behind the fire is yet to be ascertained.
The couple owned a sweet shop at Shankhamul here.
The fire affected only the bedroom of the flat and did not spread to other rooms. The couple`s son and two daughters were asleep in an adjacent room.
"Locals had previously assumed that the fire might have broken out due to gas-heater explosion. But it was later found that there was no gas-heater in the room," said police official Rewati Dhakal.
He said the cause of fire is "mysterious". "It is not even an electric short circuit. All electric wiring is intact in the room.
"We are preparing to send the bodies for postmortem. Further investigations are underway," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH