Indian couple dead in fire in Kathmandu
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Sunday, January 19, 2014, 18:01
  
Kathmandu: An Indian couple was killed in a fire that broke out under suspicious circumstances at a rented apartment in the Nepalese capital on Sunday.

Binaya Gupta and Sharada Gupta from Madhya Pradesh died when the fire erupted in the bedroom of the first-floor flat at Buddhanagar.

By the time local residents brought the fire under control, the duo had died. The bodies were found lying in the bed and there were no signs of any struggle, The Himalayan Times reported.

The reason behind the fire is yet to be ascertained.

The couple owned a sweet shop at Shankhamul here.

The fire affected only the bedroom of the flat and did not spread to other rooms. The couple's son and two daughters were asleep in an adjacent room.

"Locals had previously assumed that the fire might have broken out due to gas-heater explosion. But it was later found that there was no gas-heater in the room," said police official Rewati Dhakal.

He said the cause of fire is "mysterious". "It is not even an electric short circuit. All electric wiring is intact in the room.

"We are preparing to send the bodies for postmortem. Further investigations are underway," he added.

PTI

First Published: Sunday, January 19, 2014, 18:01


comments powered by Disqus