Indian couple gets USD 36.48 mn in accident compensation
Washington: An Indian couple, who sustained serious injuries in an accident in the US in 2010, has been awarded a whopping USD 36.48 million as compensation by a California court.
A Riverside County Superior Court jury awarded USD 36.48 million to Prakash Sheth, 64, and his wife, Jashiree Sheth, 58, from Mumbai, whose car was struck by a big-rig on Interstate 10 in Beaumont two years ago.
At the time of the accident, the Sheths were visiting the US from India and were on their way to an airport in Orange County for a family vacation in Hawaii.
According to the plaintiffs` attorneys, the Sheths were being driven by an American relative to John Wayne Airport in Santa Ana when their vehicle was hit by a 18-wheeler truck that went around the victims` car but failed to completely clear the sedan while changing lanes, Valley news reported.
"The impact of the truck caused the Sheths` vehicle to spin out of control across the freeway, where it hit the median barrier and was struck by another vehicle," according to a statement released by Panish, Shea & Boyle, the law firm representing the couple.
All of the occupants were hurt, but Jashiree received the worst injuries, including a spinal fracture that left her paralyzed. She now requires 24-hour care, said attorney Brian Panish.
"The plaintiffs have suffered tremendously and will continue to suffer for the rest of their lives," he said. "The jury recognised this with their verdict. Justice was done."
The jury award against the truck company Schneider National included USD 469,490 in past medical expenses, USD 4.8 million for future medical expenses, USD 6 million for past pain and suffering and USD 22 million for future pain and suffering.
It was not immediately clear whether Schneider planned to appeal the jury verdict and award. Company representatives could not immediately be reached for comment.
There was no answer from Schneider National`s corporate office. A company spokeswoman could not immediately be reached for comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- READ: ABSOLUTE GOLD! Irfan Pathan's brilliant response to a troll who tried to humiliate him
- Cuteness alert! Insanely adorable pictures of 'Ye Hai Mohabbatein' fame Ruhaanika Dhawan
- Mother Sofia Hayat displays her singing talent - Watch video
- Mercedes, GE among 'Make in India' investors
- 1st Test, Day 1: Steve Smith-led Australia in driver's seat after bowling out Sri Lanka for 117