Indian couple in Norway files appeal in child abuse case
Oslo: An Indian software professional and his wife, who were convicted for "serious child abuse" of their seven-year-old son, have filed an appeal in a higher court in Norway.
Chandrasekhar Vallabhaneni and his wife Anupama, who were arrested by police last month, were sentenced by Oslo District Court to jail terms for 18 months and 15 months respectively on Tuesday for gross or repeated maltreatment of their child/children by threats, violence or other wrong.
The court had sentenced Chandrasekhar to a 18-month jail term and 15 months for his wife Anupama.
They have now filed an appeal in a higher court, sources said.
During the hearing today, while defence contended that the couple should be released till the pending of the appeal, the prosecution submitted that they cannot be release and should not be kept under detention till the final outcome of the appeal, Oslo police sources told PTI.
Convicting the couple, the Oslo District Court had ruled that couple had "deliberately burned their son`s leg with a hot spoon or similar object with the result that the child had burn marks measuring approximately 3 x 5 centimetres."
The court had said it had been proven that on one occasion the parents had even threatened to brand their son`s tongue with a hot spoon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey