Indian couple in Norway files appeal in child abuse case
Oslo: An Indian software professional and his wife, who were convicted for "serious child abuse" of their seven-year-old son, have filed an appeal in a higher court in Norway.
Chandrasekhar Vallabhaneni and his wife Anupama, who were arrested by police last month, were sentenced by Oslo District Court to jail terms for 18 months and 15 months respectively on Tuesday for gross or repeated maltreatment of their child/children by threats, violence or other wrong.
The court had sentenced Chandrasekhar to a 18-month jail term and 15 months for his wife Anupama.
They have now filed an appeal in a higher court, sources said.
During the hearing today, while defence contended that the couple should be released till the pending of the appeal, the prosecution submitted that they cannot be release and should not be kept under detention till the final outcome of the appeal, Oslo police sources told PTI.
Convicting the couple, the Oslo District Court had ruled that couple had "deliberately burned their son`s leg with a hot spoon or similar object with the result that the child had burn marks measuring approximately 3 x 5 centimetres."
The court had said it had been proven that on one occasion the parents had even threatened to brand their son`s tongue with a hot spoon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani