Indian defence team inspects refurbishment of Gorshkov
Moscow: A high-level Indian defence team has carried out a detailed inspection of refurbishment of Admiral Gorshkov aircraft carrier, which Russia is expected to
deliver to India by 2012.
Vice-Admiral Nadel Nirajan Kumar, who headed the Indian delegation, noted "positive dynamic in the works on the aircraft carrier" at Sevmash shipyards in Severodvinsk region, shipyard spokesperson, Yekaterina Pilikina, was quoted as saying by Itar-Tass.
She said the Indian delegation visited the warship and examined the refurbishment in detail.
Pilikina said the team was "pleased" to see the United Shipbuilding Corporation taking all efforts to keep with the work schedule that has been agreed to by both the governments.
Initially, the contract was estimated to cost USD 1.5 billion, but in early 2008 Russia sought an additional USD 1.2 billion.
After protracted negotiations, India finally agreed to pay USD 2.3 billion for the carrier, which is to be commissioned into the Indian navy as INS Vikramaditya.
The 44,570 tonne aircraft carrier will replace INS Viraat and after modernisation it is expected to be seaworthy for 30 years.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!