Indian defence team inspects refurbishment of Gorshkov
Moscow: A high-level Indian defence team has carried out a detailed inspection of refurbishment of Admiral Gorshkov aircraft carrier, which Russia is expected to
deliver to India by 2012.
Vice-Admiral Nadel Nirajan Kumar, who headed the Indian delegation, noted "positive dynamic in the works on the aircraft carrier" at Sevmash shipyards in Severodvinsk region, shipyard spokesperson, Yekaterina Pilikina, was quoted as saying by Itar-Tass.
She said the Indian delegation visited the warship and examined the refurbishment in detail.
Pilikina said the team was "pleased" to see the United Shipbuilding Corporation taking all efforts to keep with the work schedule that has been agreed to by both the governments.
Initially, the contract was estimated to cost USD 1.5 billion, but in early 2008 Russia sought an additional USD 1.2 billion.
After protracted negotiations, India finally agreed to pay USD 2.3 billion for the carrier, which is to be commissioned into the Indian navy as INS Vikramaditya.
The 44,570 tonne aircraft carrier will replace INS Viraat and after modernisation it is expected to be seaworthy for 30 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India