Indian diplomat`s paedophile son jailed for 10 years
Sydney: The paedophile son of an Indian diplomat was jailed on Thursday for more than a decade in Canberra and faces deportation on completing his sentence.
Australian Capital Territory (ACT) Supreme Court judge John Burns sentenced Navin Edwin, 34, 10 years and eight months in prison with a non-parole period of six-and-a-half years for a series of offences against three minor girls between 2009 and 2010, The Canberra Times reported.
In separate trials in May and June, the court found him guilty of 17 offences, including producing and possessing child pornography, acts of indecency and child grooming.
Edwin contacted one of his victims via instant message, who later reported this to the police.
Police found home-made child pornography stored in electronic devices at his home.
According to the report, Edwin said the pornography was part of his medical research and an art project.
Justice Burns was quoted as saying that Edwin had lied shamelessly under oath and continued the pattern of dishonesty.
Edwin had a strong sexual interest in children, which he knew was wrong but he camouflaged himself by adopting the persona of a caring, Christian man, said the judge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?