Indian docs could be exempted from part of exam in UK
New Delhi: UK`s Royal College of Surgeons is planning to exempt Indian doctors from appearing for a part of MRCS exam if they posses a MS and DNB degree.
"The standards here are high, so we are thinking of waiving Part-A of the exam for Membership of the Royal College of Surgeons (MRCS) for MS and DNB degree holders from India," President RCS Norman Williams said on Tuesday.
It will make India the first country to be given such an exemption, Williams said here.
At present, Indian doctors have to pass a two-part exam for MRCS course required for surgeons to progress to higher specialist training in Britian.
A four-member team of RCS`s Council is here to look at the possibilities of exchange programmes in the area of fellowship training.
"We are considering having a system whereby English doctors can train in India and Indian doctors can come to the UK for advanced training," he said.
RCS is an independent professional body committed to promoting the highest standards of surgical care for patients and regulating surgery in England and Wales.
The Council team today visited Sir Ganga Ram Hospital and
Army`s Referral and Research Hospitals in Delhi to study expertise and logistics required for mutual training and exchange of academic know how.
The conduct of Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons (FRCS) course and examinations in India in ten surgical specialities was also the focus of the Council.
"We are very impressed with what we saw at SGRH and the Army`s R&R Hospital," they said.
Chairman SGRH Dr DS Rana said "academic exchange and teaching programmes will help surgeons from both countries".
"It will ensure the availability of opportunities for surgeons to obtain super-speciality and multidisciplinary skills not easily available within speciality training programmes in India," Senior Consultant Surgeon with SGRH Dr Saumitra Rawat said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened