Indian doctor taken into custody by Immigration Dept in Oz
Melbourne: An Indian-origin doctor, who had served 18 months in jail after being convicted of sexually assaulting one of his patients in Australia, has been taken into custody by the Immigration Department.
Suhail Durani, 36, who had his permanent residency revoked four months ago after serving the jail term has been fighting to stay in Australia.
According to ABC news, Durani was taken into custody by the Immigration Department in Perth.
Durani was convicted of sexually assaulting a 19-year-old patient at Royal Perth Hospital.
Earlier in May this year, Durani was released from the detention centre in Perth where he was held since his release from Casuarina prison in February.
He was taken to the detention centre after he had his visa cancelled on the day he left the prison.
Durani then lodged an appeal with the Administrative Appeals Tribunal to fight the deportation order and argued that he should not be separated from his family.
In its review of the decision, the tribunal had ruled that he should be allowed to keep his visa.
He was sentenced in 2011 to two years and four months` jail on five counts of sexual, unlawful and indecent assault.
Durani had pleaded not guilty to the charges and insisted he was innocent, despite losing an appeal against his conviction last year.
He arrived in Australia in 2006 on a temporary foreign doctor`s visa and became a permanent resident in 2009. He married his cousin, Indian dentist Falaq Durani, in 2007, and their son was born in India in 2009.
Former president of Ethnic Communities Council, Suresh Rajan, said Durani was taken into custody on Friday after the outgoing Immigration Minister, Tony Burke, cancelled his visa.
"Absolutely disgraceful behaviour is about the only thing I can describe it as," Rajan said, adding?"There are no reasons that have been advanced and clearly this is completely in violation of any human rights issues that we might have."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire