Indian doctors gave smile to 61 Uzbek nationals
Amritsar: In a goodwill gesture, a 10-member medical team, which included four surgeons, has conducted free-of-cost corrective surgeries on 61 Uzbekistan nationals suffering from cleft lip and palate in Tashkent.
All the team members were presented mementos in recognition of the yeoman service by the District Civil Administration Additional Deputy Commissioner Sandeep Rishi here today.
American NGO `Smile Train` had selected the Indian team of Amandeep hospital out of 150 hospitals in India empanelled with it, to conduct the surgeries in Uzbekistan.
The surgeries were conducted in the first week of June and the team returned Amritsar on June 10.
"In Uzbekistan, the team was welcomed by Ministry of Health. A centre for cut cleft and palate surgeries was set up under the American NGO," said Dr Amandeep Kaur, director of the hospital.
While talking to media persons at a press conference, Dr Soni, who was in the team, said, "out of 100 patients recognised for surgery including revision surgery, the team found 61 persons, including 24 women, on whom surgery was required and the rest were given preliminary treatment".
Besides pre-surgery preparation, the team performed surgeries for 13-hours daily over four days, following which they rendered post operative care and interactive sessions and workshops with local doctors for setting up a centre that would cater to the demand for such surgeries, in the region itself.
The patients who were operated upon were in the age group between 4-month-old to 30-year-old.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3