Indian embassy in Qatar to help 70-year-old return home
Manama: The Indian embassy in Qatar has pledged to help a 70-year-old man return home to his home state of Kerala after the man`s employer company reportedly refused to approve his migration.
The man - identified as Krishnadas - from Ernakulam district in Kerala, said his company had refused to let him go home.
Under the sponsorship system applicable in the Gulf region, no foreigner can enter or leave the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) states without the approval of the sponsor, an individual or a company legally responsible for the movements of the employee.
"Now that he has brought the issue to the embassy`s attention, we will take up the matter with his employers and local officials," Sanjiv Kohli, an official at the embassy, was quoted as saying by Qatari daily Gulf Times.
"We are hopeful that the issue would be settled once and for all in the shortest possible time," he said.
Attempts by GCC authorities to address the issue have often been foiled by the business community which says that cancelling the system would harm the economy.
Indians make up one of the largest expatriate communities in the Gulf region, with around 175,000 in Qatar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what