Indian embassy in Saudi denies death sentence report
Dubai: Indian embassy sources in Riyadh
have denied reports that an Indian national Sabir Ansari has
been sentenced to death for killing one of his countryman in
"We have checked our records about Indians involved in
death row and the name of Sabir Ansari is not on that list," a
source at the embassy said.
Earlier, reports had said that Ansari was convicted of
killing Mohd Sharik by a court in Saudi Arabia and that the
date of execution had been set for June 18.
Quoting family sources, reports said that Sharik, who
hails from Bulandshahr, was stabbed to death in Riyad by
Ansari of Muzaffarnagar district`s Hasanpur village on June 7.
He was arrested and then sentenced to death on June
11, reports said.
According to one official, such cases take years to
materialise and a death sentence in such a short time-frame
seems very unlikely.
"There are several stages involved before such a case
gets to the Supreme Council and then to the King. All this
cannot happen so soon," he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement