Indian embassy in Saudi denies death sentence report
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Sunday, June 13, 2010, 22:58
  
Dubai: Indian embassy sources in Riyadh have denied reports that an Indian national Sabir Ansari has been sentenced to death for killing one of his countryman in Saudi Arabia.

"We have checked our records about Indians involved in death row and the name of Sabir Ansari is not on that list," a source at the embassy said.

Earlier, reports had said that Ansari was convicted of killing Mohd Sharik by a court in Saudi Arabia and that the date of execution had been set for June 18.

Quoting family sources, reports said that Sharik, who hails from Bulandshahr, was stabbed to death in Riyad by Ansari of Muzaffarnagar district's Hasanpur village on June 7.

He was arrested and then sentenced to death on June 11, reports said.

According to one official, such cases take years to materialise and a death sentence in such a short time-frame seems very unlikely.

"There are several stages involved before such a case gets to the Supreme Council and then to the King. All this cannot happen so soon," he added.

PTI


First Published: Sunday, June 13, 2010, 22:58


comments powered by Disqus