Indian envoy invites Zia to meet Manmohan Singh
Dhaka: Indian High Commissioner to Bangladesh Rajeet Mitter has invited Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) chairperson and opposition leader Khaleda Zia to meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh during his visit to the country.
Mitter on Sunday night had made a courtesy call on the Bangladeshi leader ahead of Manmohan Singh`s visit Tuesday-Wednesday. During their meeting, she welcomed the Indian Prime Minister`s visit to Dhaka.
She expressed the hope that the people of both countries would be mutually benefited following his visit.
She is scheduled to meet Manmohan Singh on Wednesday.
Other members of her party also attended the meeting.
"Indian high commissioner met the BNP chairperson to invite her for a formal meeting. This is the first time the Indian government has invited the Bangladesh opposition leader to meet their premier," BNP vice chairman Shamser Mobin Chowdhury told reporters here after the meeting.
"The high commissioner hoped that the visit will make a positive contribution to enhance bilateral relations," said Chowdhury.
Earlier on Sunday, Foreign Minister Dipu Moni had announced that the opposition leader and leaders of the ruling Awami League led alliance will meet the Indian leader Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...