Indian envoy invites Zia to meet Manmohan Singh
Dhaka: Indian High Commissioner to Bangladesh Rajeet Mitter has invited Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) chairperson and opposition leader Khaleda Zia to meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh during his visit to the country.
Mitter on Sunday night had made a courtesy call on the Bangladeshi leader ahead of Manmohan Singh`s visit Tuesday-Wednesday. During their meeting, she welcomed the Indian Prime Minister`s visit to Dhaka.
She expressed the hope that the people of both countries would be mutually benefited following his visit.
She is scheduled to meet Manmohan Singh on Wednesday.
Other members of her party also attended the meeting.
"Indian high commissioner met the BNP chairperson to invite her for a formal meeting. This is the first time the Indian government has invited the Bangladesh opposition leader to meet their premier," BNP vice chairman Shamser Mobin Chowdhury told reporters here after the meeting.
"The high commissioner hoped that the visit will make a positive contribution to enhance bilateral relations," said Chowdhury.
Earlier on Sunday, Foreign Minister Dipu Moni had announced that the opposition leader and leaders of the ruling Awami League led alliance will meet the Indian leader Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Does religion teach gender discrimination?
- Does religion teach gender discrimination? - Part III
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!