Indian ethos assimilating, Pakistani exclusivist: LK Advani
New Delhi: BJP leader LK Advani, whose family had migrated from Sindh during partition, on Monday said Pakistani ethos is still "exclusivist and not assimilative" and rued this had led to a "painful" existence for the Hindu and Sikh minorities living in the neighbouring country.
Speaking at an event here, 85-year-old Advani drew a comparison between the present condition of people who migrated to India and those who went to Pakistan in 1947.
"Indian ethos is assimilating and absorbing while Pakistani ethos is exclusivist. It does not absorb... Indian unity is the basic truth," Advani said.
The BJP leader pointed out that while he and his family have been accepted by the people in India, those who went to Pakistan are still called "mohajirs", a derogatory term for such migrants.
Recalling his visit to Pakistan in 2005, Advani said he was asked in that country how he became a prominent politician in India despite being a migrant from Sindh.
"I asked them (Pakistani leaders) to ponder over this, as my answer was it (being a migrant) was never a problem in India... But those who migrated to Pakistan are still known as mohajirs," he said.
Advani also released a report "Gross Violation of Human Rights of Minorities in Pakistan" on the occasion of International Human Rights Day.
The report has been prepared by Rambhau Mhalgi Prabodhini--a RSS affiliated group--based on personal accounts of Hindus and Sikhs recently migrated to India from Pakistan.
"Whenever I meet people from Sindh, they say they are so troubled in Pakistan... Indianness is accepted by people, but Pakistaniness is not accepted," he said.
The BJP leader termed democracy as the biggest safeguard of human rights.
"The best possible safeguard of human rights in in democracy... And for democracy to succeed, the biggest factor is the ability to accept a totally different point of view, a diametrically opposite point of view," he said.
Advani said the biggest achievement for the Indian democracy and his party was its involvement in bringing an end to the Emergency imposed in 1975.
"The biggest achievement of Indian democracy and for my party is our contribution in ending the Emergency. Emergency would have meant the death of democracy and our efforts saved it," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly