Indian EVMs for elections in Egypt
New Delhi: As Egypt prepares for
presidential and parliamentary elections later this year,
India will be sending some Electronic Voting Machines to that
country on a pilot basis.
The Egyptian side showed its interest in the use of
Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs), Election Commission`s
Director General Akshay Rout said, adding the EC has agreed to
provide some EVMs on a pilot basis for the upcoming polls
Egypt`s desire was conveyed to an EC delegation led by
Chief Election Commissioner S Y Quraishi which was on a
two-visit to that country last week.
"The Egyptian side expressed its interest in sharing
India`s experience particularly in voters` education and
enhancing voters participation in the electoral process," Rout
The delegation demonstrated the functioning of the EVMs
and answered technical queries, he said.
Egypt`s military rulers had last month announced an
interim Constitution and said presidential elections would be
held by November after Hosni Mubarak was ousted in a popular
uprising in February.
Quraishi, who had held separate meetings with the Supreme
Committee for Presidential Elections and High Election
Committee for Parliamentary Elections, told the Egyptian side
to develop their own electronic voting systems and assured
that the EC would provide the required technical support.
The CEC also agreed to give some quantity of indelible
ink, which is used at the time of voters` casting their votes,
Rout said, adding Egypt was highly appreciative of India`s
"It was a satisfactory and productive visit and the
necessary follow-up measures will be taken through
diplomatic channels", Rout said.
The visit took place at the request of the present
interim government in Egypt to explore the possibilities of
India`s support to that country in its electoral process.
Acknowledging India`s vast experience in the electoral
process, the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) had
early this week requested New Delhi`s participation at a
consultation on electoral assistance to the Arab region
looking for transition, Rout said.
The meeting, to be held in Cairo on May 2 and 3, will
also see the participation from Mexico and South Africa, he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre