Indian fishermen injured by Lankan Navy personnel
Rameswaram: Thirty fishermen were injured when they were assaulted allegedly by Sri Lankan Naval personnel in the high seas off the coast here on Thursday, police
The fishermen alleged that the Lankan naval men, who had come in seven boats, whipped them with a rope, and took away their catch and GPS equipment, among others, early this morning.
Two of the boats were fitted with machine guns, while the naval personnel in five other boats were heavily armed, they told officials.
Tension prevailed in this island town as the fishermen gathered at the fisheries office to complain about the assault.
A case has been registered in this regard, police said.
Recurring attacks on Tamil Nadu fishermen allegedly by Sri Lankan Navy had been an issue for a long time. Sri Lanka accused the fishermen of crossing the IMBL and fishing in the island waters, offering rich fish wealth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- STOP THIS SHAME! Minor gangraped in Delhi's Jamia Nagar; suspect is juvenile
- Benefits of face scrubs for men
- In awe of the Master! WATCH how Sakshi Malik requested Sachin Tendulkar to take a selfie with her brother
- Coal imports in July dip 11% to 18 MT
- Sania Mirza overcomes Rio failure; lifts the Connecticut Open trophy to gear up for US Open