Indian, French warships to hold exercises in Arabian Sea
New Delhi: A French anti-aircraft warship
that is docked in Goa will go out to the Arabian Sea for a
Navy exercise with an Indian warship tomorrow.
The French Destroyer, FNS Jean Bart, will exercise with
INS Ganga, as part of regular and sustained Indo-French Naval
interaction, a Navy press release said here today.
INS Ganga, a guided missile frigate, would carry out
Naval warfare manoeuvres such as defence against fast attack
craft, air defence exercise, surface firing and cross
embarkation of personnel with the French ship.
"FNS Jean Bart is a conventional warship and is capable
of doing speeds up to 30 nautical miles. The Destroyer was
built in Lorient Naval Dockyard in France and was commissioned
in 1991," the release said.
The Destroyer has a crew of about 250 personnel including
25 officers. It is armed with missiles and torpedoes and also
carries a helicopter on board.
"The port visit and exercises will help in maintaining
interoperability between the two navies, which have been
conducting the Varuna series of bilateral naval exercises
annually," the release added.
The French warship has been in Goa from July 12 and
after the exercise with the Indian ship, it would sail back to
its country, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon in Brussels for EU talks
- Know the final recommendations of 7th Pay Commission in a nutshell
- Malala Yousafzai becomes millionaire with book sales, lectures
- Dennis Quaid's wife files divorce again
- RSS trained inmates of Jawahar Bagh: Ram Vriksh Yadav's 'security officer' to police