Indian jailed for 15 years for killing compatriot in UAE party
Dubai: A 29-year-old Indian man was on Monday jailed for 15 years in the UAE for stabbing his friend to death in an inebriated state at the latter`s birthday party.
S J, identified only by his initials, had a heated argument with fellow countryman A S before he stabbed him with a knife on December 16.
"I was so drunk...I did not realise what I was doing," S J told the Dubai Court of First Instance.
Judge Ezzat Abdul Lat sentenced S J, who works as a cook in Dubai, to an additional month in jail for getting drunk.
"The defendant will be deported following the completion of his imprisonment," the judge was quoted as saying by the Gulf News.
The accused in his defence said: "I stabbed him but I did not intend to kill him...I did not even think of killing him. I was drunk and it was a mistake."
A mutual friend of the defendant and the victim said the incident took place at the flat of A S during his birthday party. He said the argument began when A S cursed S J`s brother for not attending the party.
This led to heated exchanges between them and it was when S J stabbed the victim, he said.
Forensic experts confirmed the victim was stabbed twice in the stomach and chest.
Today`s ruling remains subject to appeal within 15 days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered