`Indian killed for washing clothes in Lahore jail`
Lahore: An Indian prisoner at the Lahore Central Jail in Kot Lakhpat died after being allegedly beaten by jail authorities, a witness has said.
Chamail Singh, 48, a resident of Targwal Khalkay village in Jammu, was imprisoned on spying charges after a military trial sentence in June 2012, reports The Express Tribune. Inmate Advocate Tehsin Khan said that on January 15, at around 7:45 am, Singh was washing his clothes under a tap in the jail`s courtyard when two constables, Muhammad Sidique and Muhammad Nawaz, and Assistant Superintendent of Jail (ASJ) Nasir Nawaz stopped him for doing so.
Khan quoted Nawaz as saying that the jail is not Singh`s home where he can wash his clothes wherever he wants. The three men then beat Singh for a minute, at the end of which he was dead, claimed Khan.
Khan was able to speak about the incident three days later after he was freed on January 18. He said the jailors dispatched the body to the prison hospital, after which eight affidavits were extracted from his fellow Indian inmates stating that it was a ``natural`` death.
This was all done in the absence of a magistrate, he added. Singh`s body has been in the Jinnah Hospital mortuary for 12 days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical