`Indian killed for washing clothes in Lahore jail`
Lahore: An Indian prisoner at the Lahore Central Jail in Kot Lakhpat died after being allegedly beaten by jail authorities, a witness has said.
Chamail Singh, 48, a resident of Targwal Khalkay village in Jammu, was imprisoned on spying charges after a military trial sentence in June 2012, reports The Express Tribune. Inmate Advocate Tehsin Khan said that on January 15, at around 7:45 am, Singh was washing his clothes under a tap in the jail`s courtyard when two constables, Muhammad Sidique and Muhammad Nawaz, and Assistant Superintendent of Jail (ASJ) Nasir Nawaz stopped him for doing so.
Khan quoted Nawaz as saying that the jail is not Singh`s home where he can wash his clothes wherever he wants. The three men then beat Singh for a minute, at the end of which he was dead, claimed Khan.
Khan was able to speak about the incident three days later after he was freed on January 18. He said the jailors dispatched the body to the prison hospital, after which eight affidavits were extracted from his fellow Indian inmates stating that it was a ``natural`` death.
This was all done in the absence of a magistrate, he added. Singh`s body has been in the Jinnah Hospital mortuary for 12 days.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory