`Indian killed for washing clothes in Lahore jail`
Lahore: An Indian prisoner at the Lahore Central Jail in Kot Lakhpat died after being allegedly beaten by jail authorities, a witness has said.
Chamail Singh, 48, a resident of Targwal Khalkay village in Jammu, was imprisoned on spying charges after a military trial sentence in June 2012, reports The Express Tribune. Inmate Advocate Tehsin Khan said that on January 15, at around 7:45 am, Singh was washing his clothes under a tap in the jail`s courtyard when two constables, Muhammad Sidique and Muhammad Nawaz, and Assistant Superintendent of Jail (ASJ) Nasir Nawaz stopped him for doing so.
Khan quoted Nawaz as saying that the jail is not Singh`s home where he can wash his clothes wherever he wants. The three men then beat Singh for a minute, at the end of which he was dead, claimed Khan.
Khan was able to speak about the incident three days later after he was freed on January 18. He said the jailors dispatched the body to the prison hospital, after which eight affidavits were extracted from his fellow Indian inmates stating that it was a ``natural`` death.
This was all done in the absence of a magistrate, he added. Singh`s body has been in the Jinnah Hospital mortuary for 12 days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you