Indian leopard strays into Pak; killed by Rangers
Islamabad: An Indian leopard that strayed
into Pakistani territory was shot and killed by paramilitary
troops in southern Sindh province, according to a media report
The leopard crossed the border and entered Datar Dino Jo
Tarr village near Nagarparkar and attacked a herd of cattle
and a number of villagers yesterday.
Local residents chased the animal and tried to kill it
but it attacked them.
The leopard was then killed by Pakistan Rangers
personnel, the Dawn newspaper reported.
Akram Jakhro, who went to the village after hearing that
a leopard had entered the area, claimed the animal attacked
herds of cattle and killed over 20 goats and sheep.
Villagers chased the animal and cornered it in a forest
but shots fired by them only wounded the leopard.
The injured beast attacked and wounded several of them.
The villagers sought help from Pakistan Rangers deployed
at a nearby picket and they killed the animal.
Bharu Mal Amerani, an activist working to protect and
preserve wildlife and environment in the Thar region,
expressed regret over the killing of the endangered leopard.
"People should have informed the wildlife department
which could have taken measures to save the leopard," he said.
However, assistant conservator Lajpat Sharma said there
should not be any objection to killing a wild animal if it
became a threat to people`s lives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read