Indian man in Britain gets life term for murdering wife
London: An Indian man in Britain has been sentenced to life in prison for murdering his British wife last year.
The Stafford Crown Court sentenced Devendra Singh, 33, to life in prison with no parole eligibility for 16 years for bludgeoning to death Charlotte Smith, 41, with a two-kg ornamental elephant in their home at Laddeege, near Leek, Staffordshire, September 03 last year, according to media reports.
Singh reportedly flew into a rage when Smith sought a divorce as she was unhappy with their relationship and smashed and shattered the latter`s skull with the wooden ornamental piece.
He then threw the ornamental piece over the garden into a field and fled to London.
Smith`s body was found by her family members three days after the incident.
"There were an awful lot of fractures to the front of the skull, and I could feel a lot of fractures to the face,” The Mirror quoted pathologist Olaf Biedrzycki, who examined Smith`s body, as saying.
"The degree of force used to inflict the injuries is of an extreme nature.”
Smith had met Singh during a family holiday in Goa, India, in 2008.
They started a relationship and got married in December 2010 in Goa.
After waiting for his visa, Singh moved to the Stafforshire home.
As Singh could not find work, Smith`s family opened a town centre shop for him to run.
According to the reports, after killing his wife, Singh used her SIM card to contact her family and friends pretending to be her but later handed himself over to the police.
During the court hearing, he admitted to killing his wife but said the murder was not premeditated as he had suffered “a loss of control”.
"No matter what length of sentence is served to him, nothing will compensate for our loss,” Smith`s parents said in a statement after the sentencing on Tuesday.
"Some years from now, he will leave prison and be free to continue with his life. For Charlie there is nothing.”
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know