Indian man loses appeal in Oz rape conviction
Melbourne: An Indian-origin taxi driver, sentenced to eight years for sexually assaulting a drunk woman passenger, has lost his appeal against his conviction.
According to an AAP report, Gurpreet Singh was found guilty last year in the Brisbane District Court of raping a 24-year-old woman who had passed out in his cab while he was driving her home from a hotel in Fortitude Valley.
He was sentenced to eight years` jail for that offence.
The accused took their cases to the Court of Appeal in Brisbane, where he argued the verdict could not be supported by the evidence.
Singh`s lawyers argued the woman had consented to having sex.
In written judgements published on Tuesday, the Court of Appeal dismissed his case, finding the verdict were consistent with the available evidence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Post Uri attack, India strengthens border surveillance along LOC
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray