Indian man loses appeal in Oz rape conviction
Melbourne: An Indian-origin taxi driver, sentenced to eight years for sexually assaulting a drunk woman passenger, has lost his appeal against his conviction.
According to an AAP report, Gurpreet Singh was found guilty last year in the Brisbane District Court of raping a 24-year-old woman who had passed out in his cab while he was driving her home from a hotel in Fortitude Valley.
He was sentenced to eight years` jail for that offence.
The accused took their cases to the Court of Appeal in Brisbane, where he argued the verdict could not be supported by the evidence.
Singh`s lawyers argued the woman had consented to having sex.
In written judgements published on Tuesday, the Court of Appeal dismissed his case, finding the verdict were consistent with the available evidence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!