Indian man loses appeal in Oz rape conviction
Melbourne: An Indian-origin taxi driver, sentenced to eight years for sexually assaulting a drunk woman passenger, has lost his appeal against his conviction.
According to an AAP report, Gurpreet Singh was found guilty last year in the Brisbane District Court of raping a 24-year-old woman who had passed out in his cab while he was driving her home from a hotel in Fortitude Valley.
He was sentenced to eight years` jail for that offence.
The accused took their cases to the Court of Appeal in Brisbane, where he argued the verdict could not be supported by the evidence.
Singh`s lawyers argued the woman had consented to having sex.
In written judgements published on Tuesday, the Court of Appeal dismissed his case, finding the verdict were consistent with the available evidence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love