Indian man loses appeal in Oz rape conviction
Melbourne: An Indian-origin taxi driver, sentenced to eight years for sexually assaulting a drunk woman passenger, has lost his appeal against his conviction.
According to an AAP report, Gurpreet Singh was found guilty last year in the Brisbane District Court of raping a 24-year-old woman who had passed out in his cab while he was driving her home from a hotel in Fortitude Valley.
He was sentenced to eight years` jail for that offence.
The accused took their cases to the Court of Appeal in Brisbane, where he argued the verdict could not be supported by the evidence.
Singh`s lawyers argued the woman had consented to having sex.
In written judgements published on Tuesday, the Court of Appeal dismissed his case, finding the verdict were consistent with the available evidence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?