Indian mangoes find entry into China market
New Delhi: After 10 years of sustained efforts to gain access for its fruits and vegetables in the Chinese market, India for the first time exported mangoes to the neighbouring country this year.
"India managed to export delicious varieties of mangoes like Dasahari, Langra and Chausa for the first time to China this year (2010)," FIEO secretary general GP Upadhyaya said on the sidelines of a Assocham meet here Wednesday.
After joining the World Trade Organisation (WTO) in 2001, China had subjected Indian agri produce to several non-tariff barriers, questioning their quality and other health-related issues.
With China allowing market to Indian mangoes, FIEO, the apex body of Indian exporters, is hopeful that more fruits like licchi, pears, apples besides vegetables would be soon exported to the world`s fastest growing economy.
"We hope we will send more fruits and vegetables to China soon," he said.
While Indian traders have been displaying mangoes and other fruits at trade shows in China, they were not able to export them because of tough regulations, mainly in the form of non-tariff barriers like sanitary and pytosanitary (SPS) measures which are related to animal and plant health.
However, India had maintained that its agri-produces meet global standards.
Market access for Indian agri produce was taken up with China at the highest level, Upadhyaya said.
The issue also came up for discussions during the visits of President Pratibha Patil and Commerce Minister Anand Sharma to China, Upadhyaya said.
China is one of the India`s largest trading partner with the bilateral commercial engagements valued at USD 42 billion in 2008-09.
SPS measures or regulations are implemented by governments to protect human, animal and plant life and health, and to help ensure that food is safe for consumption.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them