Indian mangoes find entry into China market
New Delhi: After 10 years of sustained efforts to gain access for its fruits and vegetables in the Chinese market, India for the first time exported mangoes to the neighbouring country this year.
"India managed to export delicious varieties of mangoes like Dasahari, Langra and Chausa for the first time to China this year (2010)," FIEO secretary general GP Upadhyaya said on the sidelines of a Assocham meet here Wednesday.
After joining the World Trade Organisation (WTO) in 2001, China had subjected Indian agri produce to several non-tariff barriers, questioning their quality and other health-related issues.
With China allowing market to Indian mangoes, FIEO, the apex body of Indian exporters, is hopeful that more fruits like licchi, pears, apples besides vegetables would be soon exported to the world`s fastest growing economy.
"We hope we will send more fruits and vegetables to China soon," he said.
While Indian traders have been displaying mangoes and other fruits at trade shows in China, they were not able to export them because of tough regulations, mainly in the form of non-tariff barriers like sanitary and pytosanitary (SPS) measures which are related to animal and plant health.
However, India had maintained that its agri-produces meet global standards.
Market access for Indian agri produce was taken up with China at the highest level, Upadhyaya said.
The issue also came up for discussions during the visits of President Pratibha Patil and Commerce Minister Anand Sharma to China, Upadhyaya said.
China is one of the India`s largest trading partner with the bilateral commercial engagements valued at USD 42 billion in 2008-09.
SPS measures or regulations are implemented by governments to protect human, animal and plant life and health, and to help ensure that food is safe for consumption.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing