Indian mother gets to 15 year jail term in the Gulf
Dubai: A Dubai court has increased the jail
term of an Indian mother to 15 years for killing her daughter,
attempting to kill the second one too and then trying to turn
the knife on herself.
An appeal court here raised the sentence to 15 years for
the 24 year old Indian mother, ruling she had intentionally
killed her three-and-a-half year old daughter Nashua K and
then tried to murder her 22-month old sister Najiya K with a
16 inch knife, the Gulf News reported today.
A lower court, finding her guilty of the gruesome crime,
had sentenced the woman earlier to a punishment of 10 to 15
years in jail. But the appeals court, which she had approached
to reduce her sentence, raised her jail term.
As per the law in the United Arab Emirates, the mother
was not named in the court and merely referred to by her
initials H.A. The mother pleaded not guilty to all the
The court was told that the life of the younger daughter
was saved by emergency services after she was rushed to the
hospital by paramedics. The court was told that the baby girl
had sustained 35 per cent permanent disability.
The court also summoned psychological experts who
examined the woman and concluded that she did not suffer from
any mental disorder and she was responsible for her actions.
Prosecutors in the course of the hearing said H.A. had
thrown her eldest daughter Nashua over the bed and repeatedly
stabbed her in the back.
H.A.`s 34-year old husband, a computer programmer had
testified in the lower court that since he married the girl in
2001, she didn`t suffer from any mental illness. He never took
her to a psychologist and her parents never informed him that
she suffered from any psychological disorder.
"I was heading home from work when H.A.`s father phoned
me from India telling me that my wife called him and sounded
disturbed. I sent one of relatives to the house to check on my
wife. He found one daughter in a pool of blood while the woman
and her other child were in critical condition as a result of
"When I reached my house, police had cordoned the place
and didn`t let me in," the husband said.
The family`s 29-year old Indian neighbour I.A.
testified," H.A. stood at my doorstep and shouted hysterically
with blood all over her hands and clothes. She asked me for
"When I headed to her room, I saw her daughters lying on
the bed, covered with the blood. They were motionless and H.A.
was crying and I saw the knife on the bed, beside the girls`
bodies. Then I informed the police," the woman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them