Indian Mujahideen warns on Twitter about attacking Mumbai, security tightened
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi/Patna: Is Mumbai the next target of the Indian Mujahideen (IM) terror group? Yes, if an account on social networking website Twitter is to be believed.
The account purportedly belongs to IM and had claimed responsibility for the serial blasts in Bodh Gaya on Sunday.
It now says the financial capital is the terror outfit`s next target, prompting the state authorities to tighten security across Mumbai.
A newspaper reported that a tweet on @IndianMujahidin posted on July 6 - a day before the Bihar blasts — read: “Hamara Agla Target Mumbai Hai. Rock Sago Toh Rock Lo, 7 days Left (Our next target is Mumbai. Stop us if you can. Seven days left)”.
Hours after the early morning blasts at the Mahabodhi Temple in Bodh Gaya on July 07, a tweet on the account had claimed responsibility for the attack, saying: “9 Dhamake Humne Karay (We carried out the nine blasts)”.
A Maharashtra ATS official said the initial assessment suggests that the account does not appear genuine but the investigators are not taking the matter lightly.
"All the officers of the ATS have been instructed to be alert and city police has been asked to ensure tight security," the official said.
Joint Police Commissioner (Law and Order) Sadanand Date refused to respond to the Twitter post but added, "Going by the current situation, we have sensitised our policemen and appropriate steps are being taken to ensure security at vulnerable places. We have also alerted the security men at vital locations."
"We appeal to the citizens to be alert and inform the policemen in case they find any suspicious object," Date told a news agency.
Nakabandis were being conducted and patrolling had been intensified at strategic locations, police said, adding that frisking at the suburban railway stations was being done and dog squads were put on service.
"Vehicles are being stopped randomly for checking," said a police official.
Railway compartments were being checked and announcements made to report to police in case passengers found any suspicious object, a railway policeman said.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing