Indian national jailed in Singapore
Singapore: An Indian national has been sentenced to 20 months in jail for drunk driving a lorry which rammed into three pedestrians - all his fellow countrymen, last year, killing one of them.
The lorry driver, Mutukrishnan Gunasekaran, 39, was also banned from driving for six years by a District Court yesterday.
25-year-old Natarajan Sugumar died on the spot from multiple injuries in the lorry crash on February 14, 2010.
Deputy Public Prosecutor Crystal Tan Yan Shi said Gunasekaran drank whiskey with a friend at a coffee house and drove the lorry against the flow of traffic to dormitory, newspaper reported.
He swerved the vehicle to the left to avoid a crash with an oncoming taxi, but hit the three innocent bystanders.
The second injured bystander had his two toes amputated and the third suffered a brain injury.
Pala Venkata Nageswara, 29, who drank whiskey with Gunasekaran and took a ride in the lorry, was also hospitalised because of injuries.
The report said Gunasekaran was jailed for causing Sugumar`s death through a rash act and grievous hurt to the others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report