Indian national jailed in Singapore
Singapore: An Indian national has been sentenced to 20 months in jail for drunk driving a lorry which rammed into three pedestrians - all his fellow countrymen, last year, killing one of them.
The lorry driver, Mutukrishnan Gunasekaran, 39, was also banned from driving for six years by a District Court yesterday.
25-year-old Natarajan Sugumar died on the spot from multiple injuries in the lorry crash on February 14, 2010.
Deputy Public Prosecutor Crystal Tan Yan Shi said Gunasekaran drank whiskey with a friend at a coffee house and drove the lorry against the flow of traffic to dormitory, newspaper reported.
He swerved the vehicle to the left to avoid a crash with an oncoming taxi, but hit the three innocent bystanders.
The second injured bystander had his two toes amputated and the third suffered a brain injury.
Pala Venkata Nageswara, 29, who drank whiskey with Gunasekaran and took a ride in the lorry, was also hospitalised because of injuries.
The report said Gunasekaran was jailed for causing Sugumar`s death through a rash act and grievous hurt to the others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25