Indian Navy has a plan to deal with sea piracy: Chidambaram
New Delhi: As Somali pirates seized one
more ship carrying 24 Indians, government on Thursday said the
Indian Navy has a plan to deal with hijacking of vessels on
the high seas.
Home Minister P Chidambaram said the Indian Navy has
earlier undertaken missions and rescued a number of hijacked
"I think, the Navy has a plan," he told reporters here
when referred to the fresh case of a ship, with 24 Indians on
board, being hijacked in Seychelles and asked whether the
government was doing anything to beef up security.
He, however, refused to divulge details about the
His comments came as Somali pirates hijacked a
Panamanian ship `MV Al Khaliq` today, just a week after a
vessel with two Indians and some other crew was seized by the
Chidambaram pointed out that the Indian Navy had
"intervened" in a number of cases of hijackings in these
waters and rescued ships.
"A number of countries have applauded the Indian Navy
in one or two such occasions," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir