Indian Navy launches destroyer INS Kochi
Kochi: Indian Navy’s latest state-of-the-art destroyer INS Kochi was on Friday inaugurated by Madhulika Verma, wife of Chief of the Naval Staff Admiral Nirmal Verma.
Kochi is the second of three Project 15-A Kolkata class stealth destroyers. The first vessel, INS Kolkata, launched earlier, is expected to join the fleet in 2010, followed by INS Kochi in 2011 and the third, as yet unnamed, in May 2012.
The 6500-ton ship, indigenously designed by the Directorate of Naval Design, will boost the Indian Navy’s maritime capabilities and safeguard country’s interests.
It is being built by Mazagon Docks Ltd in Mumbai.
The ship would advanced stealth features, making it less vulnerable to detection by enemy radar. It will be fitted with state-of-the-art weapon systems which include the supersonic BrahMos surface-to-surface missile, the LRSAM Long Range Surface-to-Air Missiles and the MFStar multi-function radar system providing accurate data on surface and air targets.
In addition, four AK-630 rapid-fire guns and a medium range gun will boost the ship`s close-range defence capability.
The ships will also be fitted with indigenously developed twin-tube torpedo launchers and anti-submarine rocket launchers.
The NPOL developed Humsa-NG hull-mounted sonar, and two multi-role helicopters adding punch to the ship`s anti-submarine capability. The maximum speed of the ship is above 30 Knots.
The destroyer will be launched using the pontoon-assisted launch technique, to be employed for the first time in the history of indigenous warship building.
This technique helps in overcoming slipway/ draft constraints and permits launching of heavier vessels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Forget Freedom 251, here comes another smartphone at Rs 501
- From Swift Dzire, to a BMW: It's dream come true, says PV Sindhu after receiving second car from Sachin Tendulkar
- Narendra Modi's big plan for PoK refugees in India – A Rs 2,000 crore package
- Kerala train derail: Services resume in Ernakulam-Thrissur route
- Meet Lachlan Smart – The Aussie teen who becomes youngest pilot to fly solo around the world!