Indian Navy launches destroyer INS Kochi
Kochi: Indian Navy’s latest state-of-the-art destroyer INS Kochi was on Friday inaugurated by Madhulika Verma, wife of Chief of the Naval Staff Admiral Nirmal Verma.
Kochi is the second of three Project 15-A Kolkata class stealth destroyers. The first vessel, INS Kolkata, launched earlier, is expected to join the fleet in 2010, followed by INS Kochi in 2011 and the third, as yet unnamed, in May 2012.
The 6500-ton ship, indigenously designed by the Directorate of Naval Design, will boost the Indian Navy’s maritime capabilities and safeguard country’s interests.
It is being built by Mazagon Docks Ltd in Mumbai.
The ship would advanced stealth features, making it less vulnerable to detection by enemy radar. It will be fitted with state-of-the-art weapon systems which include the supersonic BrahMos surface-to-surface missile, the LRSAM Long Range Surface-to-Air Missiles and the MFStar multi-function radar system providing accurate data on surface and air targets.
In addition, four AK-630 rapid-fire guns and a medium range gun will boost the ship`s close-range defence capability.
The ships will also be fitted with indigenously developed twin-tube torpedo launchers and anti-submarine rocket launchers.
The NPOL developed Humsa-NG hull-mounted sonar, and two multi-role helicopters adding punch to the ship`s anti-submarine capability. The maximum speed of the ship is above 30 Knots.
The destroyer will be launched using the pontoon-assisted launch technique, to be employed for the first time in the history of indigenous warship building.
This technique helps in overcoming slipway/ draft constraints and permits launching of heavier vessels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH