Indian Navy pilots to train in Russia for Gorshkov operations
New Delhi: Preparing to induct Admiral Gorshkov aircraft carrier, the Indian Navy has sent a batch of ten pilots to Russia for training to land and take-off fighter aircraft from the 44,500 tonne warship.
The Navy is going to induct the Admiral Gorshkov aircraft carrier now rechristened INS Vikramaditya on November 16 at the Sevmash shipyard in Russia and it is expected to reach India by January-end next year.
10 Navy pilots have been sent to Russia for training in landing and take-off from aircraft carriers and they will practise on the shore-based test facilities provided by the Russian Government, Navy officials said here.
The officials will undergo training for three to four months and would be ready for operating from the aircraft carrier by the time INS Vikramaditya reaches its bases in Karwar in Karnataka, they said.
The Navy has already procured 21 MiG 29K maritime combat aircraft and is expected to induct 24 more such aircraft in the next couple of years, they said.
The MiG 29Ks and the Admiral Gorshkov were ordered together by India for the aircraft carrier in 2004 but the Gorshkov has been delayed by over five years and has seen its cost getting doubled to USD 2.3 billion in this time-period.
The induction of Gorshkov will see the Navy having two operational carriers, including INS Viraat. India is also manufacturing its first indigenous aircraft carrier in Cochin which is likely to be operational by 2018.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram