Indian Navy to get first fully indigenously-built warship today
Kolkata: India`s first fully indigenously built major warship, the anti submarine warfare (ASW) corvette INS Kamorta will be handed over to the navy by Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers Ltd. (GRSE) here Saturday, a defence statement said.
The super-sophisticated frontline warship will be formally handed over by GRSE chairman and managing director, Rear Admiral (retd) AK Verma to the Indian Navy at a brief ceremony at GRSE`s fitting-out jetty.
INS Kamorta, first in its class of four ASW corvettes being built by GRSE for the Indian Navy, is the first Indian naval warship ever built in the country with almost 90 percent of indigenous content, a defence ministry release said.
It is also the first naval warship built in the country with indigenously developed special grade high-tensile (DMR249A) steel produced by Steel Authority of India. The hull of the ship encompasses the bulk of sensors and weapon systems that are also indigenously manufactured by various Indian industries.
The ASW corvette brings to fruition a significant project in India`s pursuit for self-reliance in indigenous warship building, bringing closer home the navy`s quest to be a "Builder`s Navy" as well as a true "Blue-water Navy" with ships and submarines designed and built within the country.
Designed by Directorate of Naval Design (DND), the successful construction of ASW corvettes with advanced stealth features also bears testimony to GRSE`s growing capabilities in building state-of-the-art naval combatants comparable with the best in the world, the release added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Govt wants unions to reconsider their strike plan
- Will expedite trial in Sheena case: Judge
- In process of overturning 'illegal decisions' of AAP Govt: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung
- Huawei smartphones to come pre-loaded with Truecaller
- Cricket in USA, 1st T20I: West Indies eye comeback after demolition in Tests; MS Dhoni & Co seek revenge