Indian Navy to induct Boeing P-8I this year
Panaji: The Indian Navy is all set to induct a Boeing P-8I into its force this year, making it the second navy after the US to have such aircrafts, a senior naval official said.
The first long-range maritime reconnaissance and anti-submarine warfare aircraft, P-8I, would be inducted this year, the official said.
"The Indian Navy would be only the second operator of this aircraft after US Navy to operate the P8 Poseidon," he said adding that with the Russian-made TU 142M aircrafts, Boeing P-8Is were contracted in the year 2009.
"These inductions would augment the long-range maritime reconnaissance and anti-submarine warfare capabilities of the Indian Navy," he added.
Induction of multi role helicopters (MRH) as replacement for Seaking 42As has also been planned, the official said.
"Naval utility helicopters as replacements for Chetak helicopters are also planned for induction in the near future," he added.
According to the press release issued by the navy, these helicopters would serve to enhance the fleet`s integral air anti-submarine warfare capability and meet utility requirements.
The naval air arm has grown from a modest force to a small air force and today, has in its inventory approximately 220 aircrafts, 1300 officers and 9000 men.
In yet another major achievement, navy`s light combat aircraft is presently under development and being progressed towards ski-jump trials at the shore-based test facility being developed at Goa, the release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth