Indian-origin doctor jailed for rape in Australia
Melbourne: An Indian-origin doctor has been jailed for six years in Australia for raping a woman seven times in one night and taking photographs, a media report said Wednesday.
Arvind Sharma, 37, was found guilty by a jury of seven counts of rape and three of indecent assaults, the Herald Sun reported Wednesday.
Sharma from Bendigo city and his victim were known to each other and had consensual sex before the incident in December 2006.
The Victorian County Court was told Sharma, who was very drunk that night, and the victim arrived at his home.
The woman, who admitted to being a "bit tipsy", rejected his advances, claiming to be unwell. But he continued and took photos with his mobile phone camera during some of the assaults, the report said.
The court was told the victim did not complain because she was frightened of him.
Judge Frank Shelton acknowledged Sharma had a high professional standing and his patients were still happy to consult him.
But the judge said his career was ruined and his offending had greater repercussions for him than for other members of the community.
Sharma must serve a minimum term of four years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir