Indian-origin doctor jailed for rape in Australia
Melbourne: An Indian-origin doctor has been jailed for six years in Australia for raping a woman seven times in one night and taking photographs, a media report said Wednesday.
Arvind Sharma, 37, was found guilty by a jury of seven counts of rape and three of indecent assaults, the Herald Sun reported Wednesday.
Sharma from Bendigo city and his victim were known to each other and had consensual sex before the incident in December 2006.
The Victorian County Court was told Sharma, who was very drunk that night, and the victim arrived at his home.
The woman, who admitted to being a "bit tipsy", rejected his advances, claiming to be unwell. But he continued and took photos with his mobile phone camera during some of the assaults, the report said.
The court was told the victim did not complain because she was frightened of him.
Judge Frank Shelton acknowledged Sharma had a high professional standing and his patients were still happy to consult him.
But the judge said his career was ruined and his offending had greater repercussions for him than for other members of the community.
Sharma must serve a minimum term of four years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees