Indian-origin doctor jailed for rape in Australia
Melbourne: An Indian-origin doctor has been jailed for six years in Australia for raping a woman seven times in one night and taking photographs, a media report said Wednesday.
Arvind Sharma, 37, was found guilty by a jury of seven counts of rape and three of indecent assaults, the Herald Sun reported Wednesday.
Sharma from Bendigo city and his victim were known to each other and had consensual sex before the incident in December 2006.
The Victorian County Court was told Sharma, who was very drunk that night, and the victim arrived at his home.
The woman, who admitted to being a "bit tipsy", rejected his advances, claiming to be unwell. But he continued and took photos with his mobile phone camera during some of the assaults, the report said.
The court was told the victim did not complain because she was frightened of him.
Judge Frank Shelton acknowledged Sharma had a high professional standing and his patients were still happy to consult him.
But the judge said his career was ruined and his offending had greater repercussions for him than for other members of the community.
Sharma must serve a minimum term of four years.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living