Indian-origin doctor jailed for rape in Australia
Melbourne: An Indian-origin doctor has been jailed for six years in Australia for raping a woman seven times in one night and taking photographs, a media report said Wednesday.
Arvind Sharma, 37, was found guilty by a jury of seven counts of rape and three of indecent assaults, the Herald Sun reported Wednesday.
Sharma from Bendigo city and his victim were known to each other and had consensual sex before the incident in December 2006.
The Victorian County Court was told Sharma, who was very drunk that night, and the victim arrived at his home.
The woman, who admitted to being a "bit tipsy", rejected his advances, claiming to be unwell. But he continued and took photos with his mobile phone camera during some of the assaults, the report said.
The court was told the victim did not complain because she was frightened of him.
Judge Frank Shelton acknowledged Sharma had a high professional standing and his patients were still happy to consult him.
But the judge said his career was ruined and his offending had greater repercussions for him than for other members of the community.
Sharma must serve a minimum term of four years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- 2nd Test, Centurion: South Africa vs New Zealand - Preview
- US Open 2016: Serena Williams shoulders burden of history at Flushing Meadows
- Shahid Kapoor opens up about his Bollywood struggle! - Read more
- WATCH: Mother mercilessly beats her infant son, tries to strangulate him in Bareilly
- Premier League 2016-17: Gameweek 3 - Preview