Indian-origin doctor wins London Assembly seat
London: An Indian-origin doctor of the Labour party scored a major upset after narrowly winning the Ealing and Hillingdon seat from the former Conservative Deputy Mayor of London in the Assembly Elections here.
Labour`s Dr Onkar Singh Sahota beat Richard Barnes of the Conservative party by a narrow 3,110 votes. Sahota finished with 65,584 while Barnes got 62,474.
Michael Francis Cox, Liberal Democrat, came third with 11,805 votes only narrowly finishing ahead of the Green Party`s Mike Harling who finished with 10,877.
Barnes became Deputy Mayor of London in 2008.
Sahota said his election was a "clear message to the Conservative-led government that the policies they have adopted are not acceptable to the people."
"The Government has dismantled the NHS, the National Health Service, despite opposition from all professional groups. As I am a practicing doctor, I made the NHS, a big issue in my election campaign and the Government`s policy has been rejected by the electorate," he said.
"I also made Ealing Hospital a big issue and I hope that my victory will be the first step to ensuring it is saved," he added.
Labour MP Virendra Sharma, representing Ealing Southall, said "Dr Sahota`s is a historic victory. It is a victory of local community people. It is for the first time in the history of London Assembly elections a local Southall-born and brought up person got elected to the London Assembly."
Julian Bell, Leader of the Labour Party said "It was a great victory. We had to climb a mountain but everybody in the Labour party in Ealing and Hellingdon united together and worked hard to get every last labour voter to the polling station. We reached the summit and got Onkar elected. It is an important message for the Government that they must not close the Ealing Hospital. We must protect the NHS."
Hari Singh, Founder Chairman of the H S Law Solicitors who had campaigned vigorously for Sahota described it as a "historic victory."
He said the Labour has snatched the seat for the first time from the Conservatives in over two decades.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in