Indian-origin family of 4 found dead in Australia
Melbourne: An Indian-origin family of four, including two children, was found dead here on Tuesday and Australian police are treating it as a murder-suicide case.
The bodies of Nilesh Sharma, 34, his wife Pritika, 32, five-year-old Divesh and three-year-old Divya were found dead at their Glen Waverley home in the city`s eastern outskirts.
Nilesh, an accountant, was found in a hallway, the others in their bedrooms.
The Fijian-Indian family, which moved to Australia over a decade ago, had lived in Glen Waverley for at least two years and appeared to have been a normal, happy couple, Australian news agency AAP reported.
Police say the four deaths are being treated as a murder-suicide with officers stressing that no suspects are being sought.
"Everybody is devastated," said Abhay Singh, an uncle of the two deceased children.
Everyone had attended a family get-together on Saturday, he said, drinking, laughing, and socialising well into the night.
"They were a really lovely family, very reserved," Mr Singh said.
"It is shattering," he said.
The children hadn`t been seen at school for two days before worries for their wellbeing turned into a phone call to the police to check up on them.
Singh recalled how the family was recovering well from a car crash last year.
Singh said the couple did not have marriage problems and he believed they died from a leaking gas tank.
"It`s a mystery," he said.
Post-mortem examinations will be undertaken tomorrow to confirm causes of death.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister