Indian-origin man guilty of bomb threat in US
New York: An Indian-origin man, who called himself a "terrorist", has been found guilty by a jury of threatening to blow up a medical firm in Connecticut and faces up to 10 years in prison.
Shaneel Jain, 56, was convicted of one count of making a bomb threat and one count of false information and hoaxes.
He would be sentenced on October 16 when he could be ordered to pay a million dollar fine, US Attorney for the District of Connecticut David Fein said.
Jain had been released on bond since his arrest on March 19 this year and currently lives in Rhode Island.
According to the evidence presented during the trial, which began last week, Jain made a series of telephone calls in April 2010 from India to Z-Medica, a Connecticut-based company that produces QuickClot, a medical agent that rapidly stops bleeding outside the surgical setting.
QuickClot is used by the US military and the militaries of some allied countries.
At the time, Jain was engaged in a civil law suit with Z-Medica based on their prior business relationship.
During these phone calls, Jain threatened to bomb Z-Medica within 24 hours, saying he was a "terrorist".
He said he had bombed facilities before and that the American law "could not touch" him.
As a result of the threat, FBI and the Connecticut State Police conducted searches of Z-Medica’s facilities.
Z-Medica also cancelled shifts, which resulted in an order for QuickClot being delayed.
The company also utilized private security for several weeks. No bomb or other explosive was ever found at Z-Medica.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video