Indian-origin man involved in car mishap fatality walks free
London: A court has freed an Indian-origin man, who mowed down a woman with his car in a British town last year, saying he was suffering from "stress" when the incident happened.
Warrington Crown Court Judge Nicholas Woodward Thursday said Balbinder Dhillon, 39, was suffering from "stress" when he ran over Donna Davies, 42, in Warrington in northwest England.
Davies, a mother-of-four, was walking with her child April 25, 2013, when the car being driven by Dhillon veered towards them.
Davies threw her child out of the way just in time but she died from the impact of the crash.
Despite being eligible for up to 14 years` jail term, Balbinder walked free from court due to his "post-accident amnesia", the Daily Mail reported.
Paul Davies, the husband of the victim, said he has no faith in the legal system of the country.
"It’s like giving him a licence to kill. I was half expecting this guy to be awarded a free ticket to Disneyland," the furious husband was quoted as saying.
Dhillon, a former director of a landlord and letting agency, was driving home after picking up his two children from kickboxing when the crash took place.
Dhillon, who was treated in hospital after the incident, later claimed he had been under stress due to his wife’s depression and his father’s terminal illness.
Dhillon had smoked cannabis, taken sleeping tablets before driving and claimed he had blacked out at the wheel of his Audi A4.
The husband of the victim said his "happy loving family had gone to nothing but a shell" since the crash.
"In fact, it sends out a message that people can go out and kill someone and then get away with it by saying they can’t remember doing it," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks