Indian-origin man involved in car mishap fatality walks free
London: A court has freed an Indian-origin man, who mowed down a woman with his car in a British town last year, saying he was suffering from "stress" when the incident happened.
Warrington Crown Court Judge Nicholas Woodward Thursday said Balbinder Dhillon, 39, was suffering from "stress" when he ran over Donna Davies, 42, in Warrington in northwest England.
Davies, a mother-of-four, was walking with her child April 25, 2013, when the car being driven by Dhillon veered towards them.
Davies threw her child out of the way just in time but she died from the impact of the crash.
Despite being eligible for up to 14 years` jail term, Balbinder walked free from court due to his "post-accident amnesia", the Daily Mail reported.
Paul Davies, the husband of the victim, said he has no faith in the legal system of the country.
"It’s like giving him a licence to kill. I was half expecting this guy to be awarded a free ticket to Disneyland," the furious husband was quoted as saying.
Dhillon, a former director of a landlord and letting agency, was driving home after picking up his two children from kickboxing when the crash took place.
Dhillon, who was treated in hospital after the incident, later claimed he had been under stress due to his wife’s depression and his father’s terminal illness.
Dhillon had smoked cannabis, taken sleeping tablets before driving and claimed he had blacked out at the wheel of his Audi A4.
The husband of the victim said his "happy loving family had gone to nothing but a shell" since the crash.
"In fact, it sends out a message that people can go out and kill someone and then get away with it by saying they can’t remember doing it," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends